The Teaching Hour Series
The Office of the Vice Provost for Faculty Diversity and Inclusion and the Center for Teaching and Learning are committed to recognizing and supporting the needs of underrepresented and diverse faculty so that they can thrive in both their scholarly and teaching roles at Columbia.
The Teaching Hour series aims to foster a teaching community among Columbia’s underrepresented and diverse faculty population. Each of the sessions will focus on questions and concerns participants bring to the forum and will be facilitated by the Center for Teaching and Learning. These conversations will cultivate a community of peer mentorship by providing space for faculty instructors to share their successes and concerns related to teaching at Columbia. As we explore issues of diversity from the perspective of instructors’ positionalities, Columbia’s student populations, as well as course content, we will collectively generate strategies to improve teaching practices and meet students’ needs. Participants will be asked to read a short article ahead of each session as a way to anchor our discussions.
- Create a personal and professional network for underrepresented and diverse faculty teaching at Columbia.
- Share common concerns as well as successes related to teaching at Columbia.
- Collectively generate strategies for effective teaching at Columbia tied to intersectional and underrepresented identities in the classroom.
- Advance and sustain inclusive classroom climates and an inclusive campus culture.
Sessions will be held from 3:00-4:30 PM in Butler 203 on the dates listed below and are for faculty only.
- For LGBTQ+ Faculty, November 28th | Register | Article for discussion
- For Faculty of Color, January 30th | Register
- For Women Faculty, April 4th | Register
All are welcome. Registration is strongly encouraged. Wine and cheese reception to follow each session. If you can’t make it but would like to be involved in future initiatives, contact email@example.com.
The CTL is here for faculty.
The Columbia Center for Teaching and Learning provides an array of support for faculty in both their work and their professional development.