The 2019-2020 Teaching Hour Series
The Office of the Vice Provost for Faculty Advancement and the Center for Teaching and Learning are committed to recognizing and supporting the needs of underrepresented and diverse faculty so that they can thrive in both their scholarly and teaching roles at Columbia.
The 2019-2020 Teaching Hour series aims to build on the teaching community fostered through last year’s series among Columbia’s underrepresented and diverse faculty population. Each of the sessions will focus on questions and concerns participants bring to the forum and will be facilitated by staff from the Center for Teaching and Learning and the Office of the Vice Provost for Faculty Advancement. These conversations will cultivate a community of peer mentorship by providing space for faculty instructors to share their successes and concerns related to teaching at Columbia. As we explore issues of diversity with both faculty and students in mind, we will collectively generate strategies to improve teaching practices, meet students’ needs, and support faculty in their various roles on campus. Participants’ key questions or concerns will form the foundations for our discussions, and each group will have an opportunity to reconnect at a reunion lunch a few weeks after their first conversation.
- Create a personal and professional network for underrepresented and diverse faculty teaching at Columbia
- Share common concerns as well as successes related to teaching at Columbia
- Collectively generate strategies for effective teaching at Columbia tied to intersectional and underrepresented identities in the classroom
- Advance and sustain inclusive classroom climates and an inclusive campus culture
The Teaching Hour:
- For Black / Latinx Faculty, October 3rd
- For LGBTQ+ Faculty, October 16th
- For Women of Color Faculty, November 6th
Sessions will be held from 3:00-4:30 PM in Butler 212 on the dates listed.
The Teaching Hour Reunion Lunches
- For Black, Latinx Faculty: November 8th
- For LGBTQ+ Faculty: November 15th
- For Women of Color: December 6th
All reunion lunches will take place from 12:00-1:00pm on the dates listed.
If you can’t make it but would like to be involved in future initiatives, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
All are welcome. Registration is strongly encouraged. Snacks will be provided.
The CTL is here for faculty.
The Columbia Center for Teaching and Learning provides an array of support for faculty in both their work and their professional development.