CTL Open House (Morningside)
Tuesday, September 19
Butler Library Room 212
11:00 am – 2:00 pm
CTL Open House (CUMC)
Wednesday, September 20
Columbia University Medical Center
Hammer Health Sciences Building LL1 (Student Lounge)
11:00 am – 2:00 pm
At the start of the fall semester, the Center for Teaching and Learning hosts Open House events for the Columbia teaching community on the Morningside and Medical Center campuses.
About This Event
On September 19 and September 20, the Center for Teaching and Learning is hosting Open House events for the Columbia teaching community on the Morningside and Medical Center campuses. The theme for this year’s events is empowered teaching, empowered learning: explore new approaches and methods for helping students learn how to learn and take ownership of their learning.
Whether you’re a graduate student or a seasoned faculty member, you will enjoy the CTL’s interactive expo-style session showcasing our exciting offerings for the new academic year. Get practical teaching tips and inspiration, learn more about yourself as a teacher, and discover new teaching resources and technologies.
Open House is free and open to members of the Columbia teaching community.
Get practical teaching tips and strategies for:
- Creating more intentional learners.
- Helping students master digital skills.
- Cultivating inclusive teaching environments in your classroom.
- Setting up a course site, blog, ARS, Mediathread, or wiki for your classroom.
- Incorporating digital media into your course.
Learn about opportunities to:
- Explore your teaching practice with peers via intensive program offerings.
- Receive individualized feedback on your teaching via a teaching observation.
- Get funding from the Provost Office for developing hybrid learning innovations.
Take a peek at new digital resources and innovations including the CTL’s:
- Guide to Inclusive Teaching Guide at Columbia
- Digital Literacy Competency Calculator
- New online training course for mastering CourseWorks (Canvas)
- An online seminar program for reflecting on your teaching practice
- Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) featuring Columbia faculty
Are you a graduate student? You might be interested in…
- A professional development workshop or learning community designed for graduate students.
- A microteaching session to rehearse teaching practices with a small group of your peers.
- Fellowships and other paid professional development roles.
- On campus and online programs and networking opportunities for STEM graduate students.
About the CTL
The Center for Teaching and Learning (CTL) partners with faculty, students, and colleagues across Columbia University to support excellence and innovation in teaching and learning. The CTL is committed to advancing the culture of teaching and learning for professional development, curricular enhancement, and academic support through our programs, services, and resources.
Want to learn more? View photos from last year’s Open House.
Any questions about this event? Email ColumbiaCTL@columbia.edu.