Update: Wikispaces Closing
April 24, 2018: The Columbia subscription for Wikispaces has been extended into the fall semester to allow time for space migrations. No new sites will be generated in the interim. Our initial assessment is that most course spaces will migrate to Canvas, using similar features there. Other courses sites with collaborative writing or editing will find EdBlogs or a shared LionMail Docs folder (Google Docs) suitable alternatives. For the remaining sites, we will offer a range of potential options to site organizers.
February 7, 2018: Please note that Tangient, the company that hosts the Columbia Wikispaces, has informed us of their intent to close down the platform by the end of this calendar year. Columbia University will stop hosting class wikis at the end of the Spring 2018 semester. In anticipation of this change, the CTL is generating documentation to help our faculty export their content from Wikispaces and compiling a set of of alternate platforms. Should you have any questions, please email ColumbiaCTL@columbia.edu.
Log in with your UNI.
Scroll down to learn more about teaching with Wikispaces and how you can get support from the CTL.
Teaching with Wikispaces
Some common collaborative wiki projects include:
- Collaboratively-authored creative pieces or reports.
- Annotated bibliographies where students add summaries and critiques about course-related readings.
- Manuals or glossaries of useful terms or concepts related to the course, or even a guide to a major course concept
- Online repositories of course documents where instructors and students can post, comment or classify documents relevant to the course.
- E-portfolios of student work.
The CTL offers a range of in-person services and online resources for instructors learning to navigate EdBlogs.
- Email ColumbiaCTL@columbia.edu to set up a consultation or contact a CTL Learning Designer for the CTL Learning Designer assigned to your school or department. Our learning designers help promote the purposeful use of educational technologies for hybrid and online education.
- Contact the CTL during walk-in and call-in consultation hours.