This Week for Faculty: Planning for Summer 2021 Courses: Course Design Support
CTL Course Design Support
Whether you are designing or redesigning a face-to-face, hybrid, HyFlex, or online course, the CTL is here to help! Engage in the CTL course design support offering that meets your needs.
Consultations: Looking for one-on-one support? CTL staff can assist you as you draft your learning objectives, assessments, teaching and learning activities, and syllabi. To schedule a consultation, please contact CTLfaculty@columbia.edu.
Course Design Intensive: A Hybrid Offering
Join the CTL and Columbia faculty colleagues for a guided, community experience of the course design process. For this hybrid offering, you will be expected to:
- Engage in a virtual kickoff session on April 23 that will orient you to the asynchronous components of this offering and get you started planning your course.
- Complete the modules in the CTL’s Course Design Essentials self-paced course in CourseWorks (between April 23 and 30).
- Bring a draft syllabus (that includes course objectives, and assessments and engagement activities that align) to share and workshop with colleagues during a virtual session on April 30.
Date and Time: April 23 and 30, 10am-12:00pm. Apply by April 19
Self-Paced Course: Course Design Essentials
Take a deep dive into the essentials of course design for any classroom format—online, in-person, or hybrid. Self-enroll in this online CourseWorks offering and design your course anytime and from anywhere.
Watch narrated videos and design your course using downloadable worksheets. Upon completing this asynchronous experience, you should have a plan and the resources needed to continue the design process.
Course Design Video Playlist
Have limited time but are looking for an overview about the elements of course design? Watch our narrated video playlist on ColumbiaLearn. There you will find four videos created using Panopto:
Video 1: Course Design: Getting Started
Video 2: Articulating Learning Objectives
Video 3: Assessing Student Learning
Video 4: Planning Teaching and Learning Activities
Seven Strategies for Success in Six-Week Immersive Courses: When you are teaching an immersive course—especially an immersive course in an online or hybrid format—the need for intentional planning and thoughtful implementation is greatly amplified. This resource distills the seven most impactful strategies to employ when designing an immersive course.
Engaged Lecturing: Five Tips for Planning Live Online Classes: Designing a live class session is about planning experiences that maximize student learning. These five tips emphasize the importance of keeping the focus on the students’ experience and what they should be doing during a class session.
Community Building in Online and Hybrid (HyFlex) Courses: What is community building and why is it important in online and hybrid (HyFlex) classes? How do I build community in my online and hybrid courses? This research-informed guide addresses these questions for both synchronous and asynchronous formats.
Collaborative Learning Online: This resource introduces the benefits of collaborative learning online, highlights strategies for effective collaborative learning, and overviews some of the Columbia-supported tools to facilitate collaborative learning online.
Check out the CTL’s Online Teaching portfolio of resources for more!
- Assessment and Grading Online with Columbia Tools: March 30, 10:00-11:15am
- Teaching a hybrid or online course? Enroll in the Hybrid and Online Teaching Institute for Faculty: April 7, 2:00-3:30pm
- Let’s Talk Hybrid/HyFlex Teaching: 30-Minute Check-Ins: April 14, 12:15-12:45pm
- Let’s Talk Online Teaching: 30-Minute Check-Ins: April 14, 2:00-2:30pm
CTL Office Hours
Access live, one-on-one CTL teaching support via Zoom (or phone) from 9:00am-5:00pm, Monday-Friday.