This Week for Graduate Students: Fall 2020 Teaching Orientation: Register Today!
CTL offers graduate student instructors orientation sessions to learn about practical, evidence-based strategies that they can implement on the first day of class. These orientations help supplement department-based orientations and trainings. CTL orientations are open to all new teaching assistants, teaching fellows, and graduate students in an instructor role.
Due to the unique circumstances of the Fall 2020 semester, CTL has moved its orientations online. Orientation consists of a series of five self-paced modules (available now). Modules will address the following topics:
- Establishing instructional goals and an inclusive learning climate
- Overview of TA roles and online teaching support
- Creating a policy sheet and a first day of class plan
- Common TA challenges and campus resources that help to navigate them
- Next steps for teaching and professional development
In addition to these on-demand modules, we are also offering 90-minute debrief sessions with CTL staff in late August and early September. Graduate students should be familiar with the modules before participating in a live session. These live sessions will offer opportunities to discuss module highlights, get individual feedback on policy sheets or first day of class plans, and engage in Q&A. These sessions will be offered at the following times:
- Thursday, August 27th, 2-3:30pm EST
- Friday, August 28th, 10-11:30am EST
- Thursday, September 3rd, 9:30-11am EST
- Friday, September 4th, 12-1:30pm EST