This Week for Graduate Students: Prepare for Spring 2022—Orientation, Essentials, TDP
Teaching Orientation for Graduate Students
CTL offers graduate student instructors orientation resources and sessions to learn about practical, evidence-based strategies that they can implement on the first day of class. These orientations help supplement department-based orientations and trainings. CTL orientations are open to all new teaching assistants, teaching fellows, and graduate students in an instructor role.
CTL is offering orientation materials online in the form of five self-paced modules, available to graduate students anytime.
In addition to these on-demand modules, we are also offering a one-hour debrief session with CTL staff via Zoom on Thursday, January 13 from 3:00–4:00pm. This live session will offer opportunities to discuss module highlights, get individual feedback on policy sheets or first day of class plans, and engage in Q&A.
Essentials of Teaching and Learning Workshop Series
The Essentials of Teaching and Learning workshop series offers new or developing graduate student instructors approaches to better facilitate student learning and improve teaching practices. Join us at these foundational workshops to deepen insight that you have started to develop at teaching orientations or in early teaching experiences. Sessions listed below are held online via Zoom. Each live session is accompanied by a 20-minute module in Canvas to be completed in advance.
- Inclusive Teaching: Creating Engaging Learning Environments: Wednesday, January 26, 10:10 AM – 11:40 AM
- Designing Learning Objectives: Wednesday, February 2, 10:10 AM – 11:40 AM
- Active Learning: Wednesday, February 9, 10:10 AM – 11:40 AM
- Assessment & Feedback: Wednesday, February 16, 10:10 AM – 11:40 AM
Register for the Teaching Development Program!
Are you a doctoral student looking for a way to document and showcase your teaching development? CTL’s Teaching Development Program (TDP) allows Columbia doctoral students to cultivate, document, and articulate their teaching development across the arc of their graduate school career.
Join us for informational sessions (on Zoom) to find out more about the TDP and get your questions answered.
- TDP info session (program overview, Foundational Track) – Friday, January 21, 2:00 pm – 3:00 pm
- TDP info session (Advanced Track, digital teaching portfolios) – Friday, January 28, 2:00 pm – 3:00 pm