Introduction to CourseWorks (Canvas)
The Center for Teaching and Learning (CTL) is offering an introductory course on the learning management system CourseWorks (Canvas). The course is open to all members of the Columbia community.
About the Course
Columbia’s learning management system, CourseWorks, is at the center of many instructional technology activities. CourseWorks is supplemented and enhanced by tools that support a range of instructional objectives, such as tools for online collaboration, presentations, lecture capture, audience response, media annotation, and electronic portfolios.
This introductory workshop provide an overview of the basic features and functionality of a course management system that allows instructors to build and support engaging courses. During the workshop, participants learn how to migrate their content from CourseWorks (Sakai), navigate Canvas, manage syllabus and course materials, use quizzing tools, and utilize communication features in the system.
Fall 2018 Schedule
- Tuesday, October 16, 12:00 PM – 1:30 PM, Butler Library 204. REGISTER
- Monday, November 12, 12:00 PM – 1:30 PM, Butler Library 204. REGISTER
- Monday, December 3, 12:00 PM – 1:30 PM, Butler Library 204. REGISTER
Choose the best date based on your schedule. For a complete list of upcoming CTL events, please click here.
CTL Support and Online Resources
Columbia faculty and instructors can visit the CTL website’s CourseWorks (Canvas) page for additional information and resources, including access to CTL’s Knowledge Base where you can find support articles and other documentation for getting started with the learning management platform. The CTL also offers a self-paced, online training courses as a flexible alternative to the face-to-face workshops:
- Introduction to CourseWorks (Canvas) Online: This course guides instructors through the steps of setting up their course site and highlights various features that enrich the learning experience for students.
- Assessment and Grading in CourseWorks (Canvas): In this advanced course, participants learn about setting up assignments within CourseWorks using various tools, and navigate the different grading features available to grade assignments, quizzes, and discussions.
Departments and academic groups can request their own training sessions by emailing ColumbiaCTL@columbia.edu. For one-on-one support, faculty and instructors can email ColumbiaCTL@columbia.edu to set up a consultation, drop in to the CTL’s office in Butler Library (Room 212) during walk-in hours, or directly contact the CTL Learning Designer assigned to their school or department.