Technology & Design Fellows
CTL Technology & Design Fellows are Columbia University doctoral students who work closely with the Center for Teaching and Learning to improve the use of technology in learning. In 2020-21, these fellows will be focusing on Mediathread, a web-based community platform that supports multimedia analysis in many courses at Columbia and beyond. For more information about Mediathread, visit mediathread.info. This fellowship is made possible through funding by the Office of the Provost’s Teaching and Learning grants.
This opportunity is ideal for current Columbia doctoral students who are interested in user experience and information design, media analysis, and/or educational technology. Applications for Spring 2020 Technology & Design Fellows are due by November 1, 2019.
About Teaching & Design Fellows
CTL Technology and Design Fellows receive a $1,000 stipend after successfully a series of activities, as determined by the TDF’s skills and interests. TDFs are expected to devote 30-35 hours during the semester to the program. In Spring 2020, TDF activities can include:
- Collaborating with learning designers to conduct UI/UX research, brainstorming, and focus group sessions.
- Developing sample assignments in Mediathread for the purpose of modeling best practices to faculty.
- Testing new features and functionality of Mediathread and provide feedback to learning designers and development team.
- Researching and conducting outreach around the use of Mediathread at Columbia.
- Documentation update and organization.
Skills and knowledge cultivated by this fellowship
- UI/UX research and design
- Participation in an advanced technical project lifecycle
- Developing media analysis assignments
- Collaboration with software developers and learning designers
This opportunity is open to current Columbia University doctoral student in good academic standing. Successful applicants, after the position is offered, will need to certify that their advisor / academic sponsor is aware of their participation in this fellowship. Preference will be given to applicants with the following attributes:
- Experience in using media to advance teaching and learning
- Demonstrable experience collaborating on projects
- Demonstrable communication and documentation skills
- Working knowledge of design and web principles
For more information about this opportunity, please email CTLgrads@columbia.edu.
The CTL is here for graduate students.
The Columbia Center for Teaching and Learning provides an array of support for graduate students in both their current and future teaching responsibilities.