Senior Teaching Observation Fellowship
Senior Teaching Observation Fellows (STOFs) are returning Teaching Observation Fellows who are assigned to cohorts of incoming TOFs to provide mentorship, oversight, and insight as TOFs conduct a range of teaching observation activities with each other. STOFs work closely with CTL on strategy and administration for this unique fellowship program.
Eligibility and Support
Senior Teaching Observation Fellows (STOFs) earn stipends of $3000 over the academic year ($1500 per semester). To be eligible for the position of STOF, applicants must satisfy the following criteria:
- Successful and timely completion of all work in the Teaching Observation Fellowship program
- Seventh or earlier year and good academic standing in a Columbia University doctoral program when serving as a STOF
- General availability for on-campus meetings during the academic year
- Awareness of advisor or academic sponsor of participation in this program
Apply to be a STOF!
CTL is accepting applications for two 2022-23 STOF positions through Monday, May 23, 2022. Please email CTLgrads@columbia.edu with any questions about the STOF application process.
STOFs serve as mentors to TOFs during the year, oversee TOF deliverables, lead learning community discussions, and work closely with CTL on administration of this program. STOFs are expected to devote up to 80 hours over the academic year to the program. Specific STOF activities and deliverables consist of the following:
Senior Teaching Observation Fellow activities (35-40 hours per semester)
- Mentoring TOFs as they complete and reflect on teaching observation activities, via individual and group check-ins
- Tracking and assessing TOF work during the academic year
- Planning and running discussions for assigned group of TOFs (online as well as in person) exploring aspects of peer mentorship and formative observation (three per semester)
- Running TOF microteaching sessions
- Collaborating and meeting with with CTL staff to design and run Teaching Observation Fellows programming during the academic year
- Writing a summative and reflective report on STOF activities
The CTL is here for graduate students.
The Columbia Center for Teaching and Learning provides an array of support for graduate students in both their current and future teaching responsibilities.